By: Adeel Anwar
1/7/2017 10:32 AM
Now it's obvious that this website is new but the last website that we sold did a good job of getting unique visitors to the page with over 500,000 unique views per month! This is a very attainable goal and we will try to highlight all of the things we did to get to this number. Without further adieu here is a list of the strategies you can use to increase traffic to your website or blog.
0. This is number 0 because it should be done prior to anything else below. Make sure that your website or blog has a catchy, easily memorable name and address. The shorter URL, the better.
1. Write about interesting topics (our name is interestology so we try our hardest to do that ourselves!)
2. Write shorter posts. The average amount of time that one spends on a given post is 96 seconds according to problogger with sites that have higher traffic having an average time of only 37 seconds!
3. Write consistently. This seems like it would be obvious but still many writers go on lengthy hiatuses which causes people to stop visiting your site.
4. Be a resource.
5. Use google analytics to find out what the age range is of people who visit your site and make sure to cater to that demographic.
6. Guest post on someone else's website who is in a similar category.
7. Try not to write in the first person unless absolutely necessary.
8. Again, use google analytics to see what categories in your site are most heavily visited and write more in these sections.
9. Check your ego at the door, it will be a long and arduous process but gaining traffic is very possible.
10. Write about things that you are passionate about because you will spend more time working on perfecting your work.
11. Use linkbacks. Speak to writers of other blogs and offer to linkback to their site for linking to yours.
12. Create a product (e-book for example) that you can give visitors for entering their email address so that you can use your email list to update visitors on new posts.
13. Post on all of the social media platforms that you use.
14. Write catchy titles that drawn in users. (9 ways to increase traffic, 7 best cars of 2017, etc)
15. Use reddit to post links to the best content on your website in the appropriate subreddit (make sure you're allowed to link in whichever subreddit you choose).
16. Ask your friends on social media to share your content.
17. Be funny. People like to laugh and it will make your page memorable.
18. Make sure that your website is optimized for search engines and by doing things like having linkbacks you can increase your search engine ranking.
19. Try not to have errors of any kind, whether it be spelling, grammar or website issues including downtime.
20. Be warm and friendly when you write to ensure your visitors feel like they could be your friends. People like to spend time with people they like and the web is no different.
Now I could keep going and going, but like I said earlier about attention spans, with the advent of the internet our attention spans are shorter and shorter by the year and I'm going to try to follow my own advice! Questions or comments? Let me know! Happy blogging :)